Staying Safe & Legal in Your Motorhome

How to stay safe and legal in your motorhome

This post may contain affiliate links, from which we earn an income.

Keeping Safe & Secure in Your Motorhome

If you live or travel in a motorhome then you need to know how to stay safe and keep on the right side of the law.  You will find everything you need to know here about staying safe and legal in your motorhome.

Motorhome Security

Your motorhome or campervan is probably one of the biggest assets you own.  Keeping it and its’ contents safe should be a key part of your planning when taking a trip.

There are really three types of motorhome security measures to consider;

  • physical security – physical devices designed to prevent entry or the driving away of your motorhome. Steering wheel locks, additional door locks and wheel clamps would be examples of this.
  • electronic security – immobilisers, alarm systems and tracking devices.
  • situational security – where you park, what you carry and how you live in your motorhome.

We are not experts in physical or electronic security devices and have found a lot of useful information by searching Google and motorhome forums. Try searching for motorhome trackers, motorhome security ideas or diy motorhome security.

We can’t tell you all you need to know about security, but we can share with you what we know about situational security.  After living in our motorhome for over 18 months, visiting 15 European countries and wild camping for at least half that time, we have developed our own routines and methods of ensuring we (and our motorhome) stay safe.

Staying Safe

I can honestly say that in the time that we have been travelling, I have never felt unsafe, even as motorhome beginners. Wild camping, walking around the nearest town late at night after a few beers and chatting to locals, visiting cities and stopping on sites and aires.  However, it would be naive to think that the risks of being a foreigner abroad in a motorhome don’t exist.

Motorhome break-ins and thefts do happen but by planning accordingly and being aware of your surroundings and the risk, you can minimise the risks.

  • when you visit a new country, make sure you know the emergency number and put it in your mobile.
  • if you arrive at an aire or a wild camping spot and it doesn’t feel right, listen to your instincts and go elsewhere.
  • don’t street park in cities.  Use a secure location or car park and take public transport if necessary. 
  • close your windows, put your blinds up and hide any visible valuables when you go out during the day. Thieves want to know it’s worth taking the risk of breaking in and may just move on if they can’t see inside.
  • be prepared for the worst. We carry pepper spray bought in Germany and a heavy Maglite torch, which of course we need for late night trips to the loo! 
  • check and double check, especially when wild camping, that your habitation door, cab doors and storage bins are locked before going to bed.
  • keep valuables in a fixed (and by fixed I mean bolted to a secure internal wall) and well hidden motorhome safe or special hiding place. There are so many options available on-line it should be easy to find something that works for you.
  • don’t flaunt cash or possessions when out. We don’t wear much jewellery and wear basic sports watches.
  • consider your key arrangements. Do you carry a spare or secure it somewhere around the vehicle?
  • if you go out locally, have plans to get home and be aware of your surroundings. Would you know if someone was following you?
  • make sure you have details of insurance and recovery companies. Take photos of your important documents such as passports in your phone should the worst happen, or make sure a trusted family member has copies they can email you in an emergency.
  • have an email address you can access from a public pc or another device if necessary, where you could manage communications in the event of a break-in or theft.
  • run through various scenarios in your mind to ensure you would know how to react in the event of  a break-in.
  • use Facebook forums to keep up to date with scams and locations where thefts and break-ins are happening.

Follow our tips, use your common sense and follow your gut feelings and you will stay safe.

Start your beginners journey to life on the road with exclusive checklists, free downloads, tips & more


Vehicle Insurance

Motorhome and caravan insurance  is usually managed through a specialist broker who will be able to access the best prices. Don’t use comparison sites, they are confused by quotes for motorhome insurance and nine times out of ten when you try to actually take out the insurance, the price will be incorrect (always lower, never higher than it should be!).

It is not usually possible to use a no-claims bonus on motorhome or campervan insurance but some companies will ‘mirror’ your no claims if you have proof, which may help. The costs will depend very much on age and value of your vehicle; if your van is worth over £60k expect to  pay upwards of £1,000 a year, more if full-timing.  Some companies will include motorhome breakdown cover which is heavily discounted, get this included if you can.  

You will require a green card to as proof of insurance is travelling in the EU. Understand any limitations to overseas travel, some insurers will limit trip duration and will not cover you for all countries you may wish to visit, such as Albania, Turkey or Morocco. You may have to pay extra for a Green Card for these countries.  

Read the small print!  Some insurers are very specific about how long you can leave your van unattended overseas and some will refuse to pay out if your van is parked on the street instead of the declared drive and is stolen.  Remember, most insurers will do whatever they can to get out of paying a claim…I’m not cynical, much!

If you are full-time, this is a more specialist area and insurance usually has  specific conditions, read more about that here.

Travel Insurance

Make sure you have an up to date EHIC (the old E111 card) which gives you the same level state provided medical treatment as citizens of that country would receive, and will do so until it expires. A new card, the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), has been introduced and provides similar cover to the EHIC.

However, not all EU countries provide full free at point-of-access medical treatment like the NHS does.  In Spain for example, you will get basic care and treatment covered but if you need to see a specialist, then this is not covered under the reciprocal agreement.  Further, your EHIC/GHIC will not cover repatriation to the UK. This is why you need to take out travel insurance alongside your EHIC.

How you do this depends on how long you will be abroad.  Some banks include travel insurance in their current account packages, but this is likely to be time limited, age limited and may not cover you for pre-existing conditions.  

If you are out of the UK for longer than the time limit, you will need to get backpackers insurance (I know, made me feel like a sprightly 25 year old again!) which will cover you for up to two years. This insurance often cannot be purchased prior to leaving the UK, so make sure you take it out before or risk a much higher premium and a waiting period before any claims can be made.  Most companies will give you options around sporting activities and gadget cover. If you are into any extreme sports, you are unlikely to be covered at the basic level.

Try True Traveller or World Nomads for this type of cover.

Home Insurance

Before heading off, make sure that you home insurance remains valid if your house in unoccupied. Many policies will only allow you 60 days before imposing strict actions you must take such as leaving the heating on to a certain temperature or naming a key holder.

Recommended Reads

The Best Top Tips for Motorhome Beginners

Motorhome Tips for Beginners

So, you’ve decided to buy a motorhome…great decision! You’ve joined a growing family of people who love the freedom of motorhoming. The ability to get away spontaneously and change your mind half way there to go somewhere else is priceless.  
Read More
Living in a Motorhome Full Time UK

Living in a Motorhome – Your Complete Guide

Living in a motorhome is a hugely appealing lifestyle for many. Selling up and living in a motorhome is not for the faint hearted though and will undoubtedly mean compromise. Read on to understand what living in a motorhome permanently is really like.
Read More


We keep a spreadsheet of all our € costs and another with our £ costs so we can keep a track of where our money is going. If you’re new to this and wondering if you can afford to live in a motorhome then check out our detailed breakdown of costs and budget here, along with lots of tips to help you travel in your motorhome for less money.

We use a Caxton card pre-loaded with euros and this works well although don’t use it to pre-pay for fuel, as they are not a credit card and any pre-authorisation amount can be held for up to 21 days…ouch!  

Keeping Legal


You must carry the following documents when travelling in Europe;

  • Passport with at least six months prior to expiry (unless you’re travelling to the Republic of Ireland).
  • Certificate of insurance and green card for all your vehicles plus a GB sticker on the rear.
  • V5 (logbook).
  • MOT certificate for all your vehicles over 3 years old.
  • Evidence of UK vehicle tax, keep the confirmation email they send you.
  • Vignette (a type of motorway road tax required in some EU countries; see more info here).
  • Emissions zone sticker depending on where you are going.
  • Certificate of Medical Insurance.
  • EHIC/GHIC card for medical treatment; this does not substitute full medical insurance but will defiantly help.
  • Driving licence. If you only have a paper driving licence or a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man then you will need an International Driving Permit.
  • Breakdown cover details, probably an email on your phone rather than a bit of paper.
  • Service documentation for your vehicle should you breakdown.
  • Animal Health Certificate.
  • If you’re old school, and it’s often the best way, tickets!

Driving a Motorhome

If your motorhome is registered in the UK, you will need to have a valid MOT and road tax. Your motorhome must not exceed the gross vehicle weight once fully laden, not forgetting passenger weight.  Unfortunately, this means returning to the UK annually for an MOT if your van is more than 3 years old.  

Sounds obvious, but you must have a valid licence. If you passed your driving test before Jan 1st 1997 you will have grandfather rights on your license and can also drive a motorhome over 3,500kg. All Cat C categories need to be renewed at 45 years of age and every five years thereafter, this means a medical and re-application for the category on your license. Cat C1 licenses (along with all other categories) need to be renewed at 70 and may require a medical.

Your UK licence allows you to drive in all EU countries. If you only have a paper driving licence or a licence issued issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man then you will need an International Driving Permit.

Again, it sounds obvious but follow the road signs and don’t go where you shouldn’t in your motorhome. Google Translate is great for helping with this and a number of times we have had to pull over to check what certain words mean…and have usually been glad we did!

There are various views about whether European police can catch up with you at your UK address if you are flashed by a speed camera. We have been flashed on a few occasions and to date (fingers crossed) have not received any correspondence.  Please don’t take that as a licence to break the speed limit, we may just have been lucky. Update August 2019 – there have been a lot of reports about Brits receiving speeding fines once home. The French Police seem to have upped their efforts in recent months to recover outstanding fines.


Tolls are confusing and vary from country to country.  We always try and avoid toll roads and programme our sat nav to take the scenic route, but sometimes they are unavoidable.  

There are systems you can use in most European counties which link to your numberplate and allow you to pass through without a barrier, your credit card is charged later. 

Tolls are extortionate in France and you will likely be charged as an HGV vehicle. Portugal is the most confusing and I am not sure we paid all the tolls we should have, but there have been no repercussions.  

Click here for a country by country guide to toll roads and charges.

Low Emissions Zones

Lots of EU countries have low emissions zones in some of their cities. You can be fined if you drive into these areas (albeit) unknowingly.  Use this handy guide to check out which cities are affected and make sure you get your sticker or pay electronically to avoid a nasty surprise when you get home.


Whether you are parking, wild camping or utilising a space to sleep in your vehicle overnight, all EU countries have laws and regulations around this.  Some are complex and can be unclear. Read our post on wild camping to find out more and understand how to stay within the law.  

Looking for more motorhome advice and tips? Check out these top posts…

16 Tips to Help Manage Motorhome Payload

Are you worried about how much stuff you need to carry in your motorhome? Have you been to the weighbridge and realised that your motorhome weight exceeds its maximum authorised mass? We’ve got lots of tips to help you manage your motorhome payload and stay safe on the road.
Read More

The Best Motorhome Bike Racks & Bikes

If you’re heading off on a motorhome tour, you may want a secondary means of transport to get about once you’re pitched up. For the lucky few, that means a car or motorbike in the boot or on a trailer, but for most of us it means a good old-fashioned bicycle on a bike rack, or scooter. We take a look at all the options for your motorhome and campervan.
Read More

An Easy Guide to Motorhome Toilets

It’s the thing about van life everyone wants to know! If you’re wondering how motorhome toilets work, how to empty your campervan toilet, or even how to use it, then you’re in the right place!
Read More
motorhome winter storage

Motorhome Storage – Your Complete Guide

Unless you live in your motorhome permanently, you’ll need to store it (sometimes called laying up) when not in use. The security of your motorhome whilst its being stored is a primary consideration, as is the preparation process to ensure your motorhome stays in top condition, ready for your next road trip.
Read More
motorhome and campervan bedding

The Best Bedding for Motorhomes & Campervans

Having the right bedding that’s comfortable and aides a good night is critical. None more so than in your motorhome, when you want to relax and enjoy your time away. But motorhome beds do not come in standard sizes – finding the right bedding for your motorhome is a challenge which we’re here to help you with!
Read More

Love it? Pin It!

How to Stay Safe & Legal in Your Motorhome

This post may contain affiliate links, from which we earn an income.